REASONS TO JOIN CPI: A PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION
Build Your Career MEMBERSHIP BROCHURE
Which would you rather do? Spend your 40-plus working years in a job, getting a small raise every year and hoping you won’t get laid off? Or build a career that moves you up the corporate ladder to a top-floor corner office and gives you a six- or seven- or higher-figure income?
If you want the latter, then you need to belong to a professional association related to your field. Here’s why?
- Demonstrates that you are interested in a career not just a job.
- Offers opportunities to be mentored and to be a mentor. Both roles will benefit your career.
- Provides volunteer opportunities, related to your field, that demonstrate your concern and willingness to give back to your community.
- Helps you develop leadership skills by spearheading community volunteer projects and by holding office within the association.
- Helps you to develop public speaking skills.
- Helps you develop your interpersonal relations skills by working with people of different ages, education, backgrounds and income levels in both your community and your professional association.
- Stimulates your creativity. Sometimes “going by the book” just doesn’t work. Brainstorming solutions to a work problem with association members can lead to an out-of-the-ordinary solution.
- Gives you opportunities to interact with people of all ages in your field. You benefit from the experiences of older members and they benefit from your knowledge of your field, technology and today’s workplace.
- Offers opportunities for you to attend or to conduct continuing education programs, either online or face-to-face, for your colleagues. While learning via the Internet is convenient, face-to-face interaction often adds a different dynamic to learning by providing a more relaxing arena for sharing information among colleagues.
- Offers a certification program which documents your education, volunteer work, leadership skills and commitment to your career and your community.
- Educational sessions promote personal and professional growth.
- The yearly manual provides an orderly progression of education, and is written by leaders in the field of credit.
- We are not industry specific (like collectors only), which provides a larger scope of credit education topics.
- Credit education presentation tools like “Take Charge of Your Life” tapes & CD’s.
Networking and Personal Growth
- Networking provides an opportunity to learn how others solve problems.
- National directory gives you contacts all over the country, which can be helpful when state laws vary.
- Help with skip tracing.
- Personal growth: you grow stronger and smarter with every office you take.
- Conferences provide opportunities to travel to new cities.
- Look at all the people you would never have known without attending a conference.
- Officer positions illuminate how organizations are run; this association requires teamwork similar to corporations.
- Contacts can provide job leads all over the country.
- Peer recognition for articles published in the manual.
- Professional certification program.
- District and national association awards build pride in achievement and professional recognition. For example, the Hero Award recognizes the recipient for leadership, ingenuity, integrity, and for mentoring new leaders for succession.
- Think of International as the hub and the locals as the spokes in the wheels.
- Getting answers: small group has less information, a large group has more information.
- Different regions have hot topics, so we can bring global information to local associations.
- Former local associations who separated have disbanded; the structure of the national association helps smaller associations to continue.
- Mentoring from experienced officers who visit locals.
- Less expensive dues than other national organizations (for example Lions pay $400 and JC’s pay $250 per year).
- Conferences provide a renewal of energy and ideas.
The Advantages and Benefits of being a member of District, State, and International:
The benefits we enjoy at the local level are due to the work being done on the District and International levels:
- The Foundations's Educational Resources
- The Education Manual
- The Credit Connection
- Legislative News
- The benefits of attending a district, state or international conference are great!
Your vote counts! Annual meetings are held at each of the levels, there are issues to discuss and vote on. Every member's vote is crucial at each meeting.
The caliber of Speakers is top quality. On the local level, it would be difficult to procure this caliber of speaker.
Networking on a larger scale, you never know when a sale is made or a very helpful contact is made.
Personal growth is attained by interacting with people from different areas of interest, different professional backgrounds, and interacting in small groups as well as large.
Stimulate us to think outside our limited area, be it on the personal or professional level.
The ability to network with people all over the country is the primary reason I have stayed a member for 35 plus years. Lasting friendships, the ability to call an acquaintance in a city where I may be traveling, or a chance to visit a place that I would never have planned to go alone just for vacation. I have visited places that I would never have imagined had it not been for my membership in CPI. Attendance at District and International conferences allows the member to view a snapshot of another part of the country and I have been doing it at my own expense all that time. I have changed jobs five times and moved to a different part of the country...but membership in Credit Professionals has been a part of my life through it all.
Benefits of belonging to District
- Networking between members
- Communication from District officers concerning International
Benefits of belonging to International
- networking-between members, membership directory
- Education-thru The Credit Professional, Credit Connection, manual and International Conference, if you go to a conference
- certification program
- belonging to nationwide organization
- being connected to walk-a-thon-Foundation-helping raise money for National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
- Communication from the Districts
My reasons for belonging to the District and International are as follows.
- The friendships that you make from day one. The locals are great, but when you have a chance to attend a District or an International event, whether it be a conference, seminar or some other event. You make all kinds of new friends from all walks of life and business. The dues are minimal, but these are lifelong friendships. The networking cannot be measured in words. If you have a problem or need a connection, then all you have to do is look at your membership roster and find that information. We are all willing to help in any way we can, whether it be skip tracing, finding a current phone number or just finding an old friend that maybe has moved to that area.
- We are really an extended family to each and everyone of the members. They extend from all corners of the states, Canada, etc. These family members are for a lifetime. Another great advantage is the opportunity to travel all over the states if you attend the conferences. You get to see parts of the country that you might not ever get a chance to see otherwise.
- The confidence it gives you to be able to not only attend these events, but also to learn to present yourself and learn to become more self confident. To be able to become a public speaker ( as much as you wish to, anyway) To learn the parliamentary procedure to conduct a meeting. The responsibilities that you are given and hopefully will complete. To be an overall better person.
Please read these over and put yourself in the place where you are a stay at home, shy person and can become a little more outgoing and confident in what you do and say.